Monday, April 18, 2005

Number 10 Save Phil!

First, let me tell you just a little bit about the history of our country. I want to let you know why our nation's founding fathers invented Checks, Balanz, and me – and why you might want to keep us around, no matter what some politicians say.

So let's go back in time about 200 years, when our founders were trying to figure out how to make our democracy work. They knew they wanted the government to have three different branches – one made up of Senators and Representatives, one made of judges, and one that's run by the President. And they knew they wanted all the guys and girls in those branches to have just about the same amount of power. That's only fair.

But keeping everyone on the same playing field is tough! We get to pick new Senators and Presidents every few years, but judges have to be fair and independent, so they get appointed for life! That's a long time – and a lot of power – clearly Checks were needed.

The President gets to pick a bunch of new judges. But what if he does something hasty and unwise – like appointing judges who aren't fair and independent? We don't want to be stuck with radical judges for as long as they live. Luckily, our Constitution gives Senators a say in the matter so there is a true Balanz. The Senators are allowed to discuss judicial nominees for as long as they want to decide if they're good enough to serve. And that's where I come in.

When a few Senators from the President's party think it's okay to appoint an unworthy judge, other Senators can use me, Phil-a-buster, to block those plans! You see, everyone – even people who voted for the minority party – deserves to have their voices heard. That's the American way!

The party in power tends to get frustrated when the guys on the other side of the aisle use me. When the Democrats were in the majority, they weren't big fans of me. And now that the Republicans are in the majority, they don't like me either.That's no surprise.

But until now, the majority party always understood that, love me or hate me, I'm an important part of the government. After all, I'm part of what made Thomas Jefferson call the Senate "the cooling saucer that cools the hot passions of the other parts of the government." When Thomas Jefferson likes you, you tend to get some respect. So no one tried pulling any dirty tricks to get rid of me just to make things easier for their side.

Whew, that was a lot. Now that you understand who my friends and I are – and why we're so vital to our government – it's up to you. You, your family, and your friends are the ones who can make a true difference. Speak out. And let your Senators know what a mistake it would be to just throw me away. Because if I go away, so do Checks and Balanz.

From Save Phil

No comments: